måndag 8 september 2008

A Spiderman Lost - Jari Huotari



After a couple of months absence, I start up with this blog for the season with some new interviews. Back in 1998, when studying media, I learnt to know Jari Huotari, a musician, songwriter and poet. Eventually his influence was what made me start doing music at all. Now ten years later his work with projects such as Pseudoplotinos and Lofi For Dummies really has stood the test of time and is still fantastic. We shared space on the compilation cd UTÖKAD FAMILJ VOLYM 1 (Alltid Hela tiden) 2002 but the last years the man seemed absorbed by the earth. When we released the debut album of mine and C-J Larsgårdens (who also were in the same class) duo A Perfect Friend, we named one of the tracks after him.

All of a sudden Jari recently came to one of my shows, which was just great. So I thought I should make a talk with the man to see what's happening. This is a great honour.

This was made before the time of myspace and it was very hard finding some material online, eventually I found some downloadable goodies from a last.fm-page

MP3:
PseudoPlotinos - All The Lofi In The World
PseudoPlotinos - Spiderman Lost



1) Jari, without you I wouldn’t have started playing music and in the continuation this blog wouldn’t exist. What are your thoughts about making your voice heard here?

I was very flattered in the interest to tell you the truth.



2) So what's the story about your amazing projects PseudoPlotinos and Lo-fi for Dummies. Do you have any plans with them or are they waiting like sleeper cells? (ok, enough of terrorist references). Also, are you still active writing poetry?

Oh, dear. This question is many in one. Splitting the forces…

a. PseudoPlotinos is my solo stuff. The name I sort of inherited from a former band in Uppsala back in the 90’s. We were heavily into the music of the spheres: PseudoPlotinos is a combination of the names of two great philosophers, Pseudo-Longinos and Plotinos. I cannot seem to get rid of that nick now. Lo-fi for Dummies is a two-man band I formed with some random weirdo I met in a bar in Värnamo. Our greatest merit is that we got sued by EMI & Axl Rose for playing some stuff on the radio with stolen lyrics from the song Perfect Crime. By Guns’n’Roses. Otherwise, we just mainly got drunk together and played Puyo Pop on his Dreamcast. And we both have a special relation to salt. The other half of that band is still active I think. Morgan Train. Solo. Great stuff.

b. As for terrorism, Lo-fi for Dummies is a sleeper cell. I am currently trying to get some stuff together, guess I’ll try to skip the PseudoPlotinos name this time too. And fail. Miserably.

c. Yes, I do still write poetry. Mostly in Swedish though.



3) You also introduced me to Roky Erickson, whose music made a huge impact on me back in 1999. Do you have any other aces up your sleeve?

Nope. That’s it.



4) We even made a song named Jari Huotari with my side project A Perfect Friend. I keep on stalking you but you only seem to like it. What on earth would I have to do to make it hurt?

Wow. No idea. It’s nice to know that I am not forgotten. Stalking is the purest form of love.



5) What's your favorite animal and why?

Apes. And monkeys. And no, they are not the same. I have a special connection to these creatures on an astral level. Or perhaps I should say I have a connection to astral apes and monkeys. My favorite here on earth is the dwarf silk monkey. They are the cutest. And they have small merry agile hands that can give you the finger!

Inga kommentarer: