torsdag 11 september 2008

Sweet tunes from the city



It's always such a treat when you get to know someone making music and when you finally hear some songs you really like it. Also really nice when you find someone from your home city making good stuff. Alone with a porta studio, Davin Andersson has taken the first steps with his folk/psych/pop-project A Stoic Gone Berzerk. This is a nice new friend and his music can be heard at his myspace-page



David, I was very happy to hear your songs with your solo project A Stoic Gone Berzerk. They sound amazing. What are your plans with it? Have you more material to reveal?

Thank you very much! Well, from the beginning I had no other plans but to try and record some songs for a myspace-site. It was something I really wanted to do, but at the same time it was kind of scary because when you do everything yourself, you also tend to be extra hard on yourself. But it seems like peple have liked the two songs I've recorded so far, so now I just want to keep writing new ones. I have two more songs on their way, and a couple of ideas I'm working on. Then if it turns out I have enough songs, of course it would be very nice to present them live with a few more instruments, and - of course - to record them in a studio.


A friend of mine compared you to Paul Simon. Is that a favorite of yours? What are your biggest influences?

Really? Wow, that's a comparison to be proud of I guess. But actually I've listened very little to Paul Simon. I’ll just have to check him out. I think the most important musical influences came to me when I was about 20-23 years old. Up ..til then I had only listened to hard rock and heavy metal (that’s how it is when you’re growing up with a big brother). So when I heard artists and groups like Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Buffalo Springfield, The Jayhawks, Aretha Franklin, The Flying Burrito Brothers and Van Morrison I responded like you do when you hear something for the very first time. And I don’t think any music will ever have that kind of impact on me again, no matter how good it is.

You also fronts the delicate alt.country-band Leaving Fort Lumber. Could you tell more about it and other projects you're involved in

Yeah, we started playing about a year ago. It was little bit of a challenge, we had very different musical backgrounds and influences but it turned out to work very well. Our drummer is going away to India for a couple of months now, but I really hope we can pick it up from where we left it when he returns.


If you would mention a song you'd wished you had written yourself, what would that be?


Hm.... there’s a couple to choose from. But probably You’ve Got A Friend with Carole King. It’s a fantastic song from one of my favorite albums.


We spent some time together now. What's your favorite memory together with me?


Well, we’ve had some nice chats over a cup of coffee in Karlstad, don’t you think. Seems like we have a couple of things in common, both musically and otherwise. And of course it was great to see you play at Glada Ankan a couple of weeks ago.


Yeah, it's also where I had my moment from you. When I wrote "David from Leaving Fort Lumber" on the guest list and you didn't understand that was you.

1 kommentar:

David sa...

Haha, ja, det var i sanning ett stort ögonblick, även om jag måste erkänna att minnena från den kvällen är något suddiga...