torsdag 2 oktober 2008

Ground Control To Mayor Rob



One of my fav upcoming UK-acts is without doubt the lofi/flaming-lipesque/electronic-indiepop-act Spaceships Are Cool. Behind the name is Rob Maddison who I've came to know during the last years. We did a show together in Nottingham in 2007 and only a week ago we shared the bill again. Since last year Rob has been through some dramatical times and it was really good to see him back on the stage again.


1) Rob, I was worrying sick about you when you got into an accident earlier this year. So glad to have you on board again and I'm so proud to do a show together with you in Nottingham. What can we expect from the venue, The Golden Fleece?

this will be my first live show as spaceships are cool since the injury to my spine in february this year. the injury means that i've had to learn how to play again nowi'm in a wheelchair. the golden fleece in nottingham is a really nice intimate venue that has a good track record for putting on acoustic gigs and dj/mc nights. i've not been in since my injury, so i'm hoping that the wheelchair access is ok!


2) I absolutely love your songs with Spaceships are Cool. What's the nearest plans? Do you have much new ideas? I know you're also a frequent contributor to Yunioshi. What's going on there?

i'm currently working on a 'sampler' lp of spaceships are cool instrumental work. the lp is aimed at some of the tv advertising agencies i am in contact with. so hopefully you'll be hearing spaceships tunes on a mobile advert soon! there is an ep comin out this month, and that should be up on itunes soon too. as for YUNIOSHI, i'm now a full time band member as their drummer, i go under the name of HAKUSHI YUNIOSHI. we are doing loadsa shows in the uk at the moment and then we will be off to iceland early next year to play some gigs with icelandic electro band BLOODGROUP.


3) What's your favorite album of 2008?

i think it has to be 'seventh tree' by goldfrapp. i had this on my ipod and played it constantly during my 6 months in hospital. it's an incredible lp full of beautiful layers that really take you places.


4) You also have a connection my home parts in Wermland in Sweden. You were staying here, right? When, for how long and why? I remember I've seen a picture of you with the road sign Torsby.

I was producing an lp for a uk singer songwriter at the time and we recorded all the tracks in the uk & iceland, then i contacted a friend of mine who worked in a small studio in torsby and he suggested going out there to mix it. we spent about 2 months in total in the studio in torsby, doing loadsa edits and even re-tracking a few vocal dubs. I loved every minute of it, and we went to some good parties out there too!

5) And please let me know the story again when you were touring in Spain and had the chance to eat dinner with the "city's mayor".

My partner Helen and I used to play in a nottingham indie band that had a small deal in madrid, so we wnet out there to do a 6 day mini tour. we played one night at the civic centre in a town called adra. after the show we went to a party on some boat nearby. a few of us got talkin to this guy at the end of the table who we thought was the mayor of the town. so after about ann hour of sayin 'what a cool town you've got' etc. it turned out that this guy was just someone off the street who had just gate crashed the party and couldnt really understand any english either!

so thats how we didn't meet the mayor of adra! the really funny bit was when me & helen left the band about a month later we even got airbrushed out of the press photos!

Inga kommentarer: